My wife had been wanting a shoe box to put all of her boots in. I figured with all of the weather cooperating and the days getting longer, it shouldn’t take long to build it.
After work one day, we started working on putting some planks together which would be the outer frame. This was pretty sketchy because the wood wasn’t as sturdy.
The next day, I got up and added the frame to the outside borders and constructed the box you see. My wife then started applying the Primer.
It took us a while to figure out how to use our Paint Sprayer but once we got it, the painting was easy.
My wife put some hardwood floor pieces together and then I added a piece of 1/2 inch plywood base to the bottom of the floor. We glued the two together and purchased a piano hinge to help with the top lid. It worked great and it looks good. Not bad for a couple of hours of work.
My wife and I started another project earlier this year and it has been fun. It has been a very long process as I do have a full time job that requires a lot from me. This project was to take our closet and close it off and open it on my daughter’s side of the room. Then we were going to build the closet in our room. After ripping all the sheet rock off inside the closet, we thought hard about it and decided not to remove living space from our bedroom as we thought it would reduce the value of the home in the end. We put new insulation in the walls and installed new sheet rock. We then added wood paneling to give it a wooden look. We then stained the wood with a dark finish. Then we began building the closet system. My idea was to put in drawers in the middle of the closet to eliminate having drawers inside the bedroom. We also added another pole to hang the clothes on the bottom half of the closet. Then we added barn doors which were really cool to make and very inexpensive. I plan on making a video showing how these doors are made and posting it here.
I was approached by Dewalt recently to review some of their equipment by joining their Sampling Program. I wanted to let you all know that if you are interested in getting my opinion of your product or service, please allow me to be your person. I have always been good at reviewing stuff and you can see my Yelp reviews that I am always willing to share my experience. If you are interested in having your product or service reviewed, please reach out to me and I will be glad to offer my opinion.
Thank you for reading.
I am no tile expert but my wife and I worked together on Saturday to put in some Brazilian Tile that she found at Restore.
It took us all day on Saturday and then after we got home from church on Sunday we started working on the Glass Tile.
On Monday after work we started putting in the Mocha Grout.
Plumbing As A Hobby
This whole project reminded me to never take up plumbing as a hobby. We were trying to put in the plumbing for underneath the sink but we kept getting the water to come up like it wasn’t going down the drain. We looked at other examples and ours kept coming up. We went to Lowes and bought a bunch of pipes to possibly change the way the flow of the water might help. One guy that saw us looking at all the pipes said that we needed a vent. I thought, we have a vent that goes out to the roof. Maybe we needed another one. So we bought one and put it all together and still kept doing the same thing. We ended up figuring it out yesterday when we put a plumber’s snake in the drain and unplugged it. After that, water was moving like normal. Now, back to figuring out how the plumbing will work without leaking.
Thanks for reading!
I went home for lunch yesterday and when I got there my Father-In-Law had just finished pouring the cement and was smoothing it out. I was able to use the orbital sander on the edges of the counter to get out any air bubbles.
When I got home after work, it looked like it was mostly done and becoming dry. I started cutting the frame that will go around the sink.
We had to go under the house yesterday and check the support beams to ensure that there was enough structure under there to accommodate the weight of the concrete countertops. I was under the house for a few hours working to make sure everything was good. Talk about an Ab Workout. I feel like I did 1000 situps. Lots of spider webs under there. Old wires and stuff, that I pulled out to clean it up a bit.
I found a support pillar that looks like someone did a quick one on it. I added a new cement pillar and some new 4×4’s right next to it to help with the weight.
My father-in-law came over today to pour cement, but we hadn’t finished with the countertop. So we worked on that all afternoon. Tomorrow, he is going to come over with my mother-in-law to pour the cement and finish it up.
We put an idea we had for the sink to sit in after the cement gets somewhat dry. Then we can pull out the PVC pipes and allow space for the hoses for the sink to fit in.
We will hopefully have a sink tomorrow and then we have to wait 30 days for the cement to cure. Once it cures then we can seal it. Hopefully, by this weekend, we will have the backsplash done too.